6.16.2008

A Fantasticallly Great Author

I will make no secret of it in my posts here, I think G.K. Chesterton is a fantastic author. I am pursuing the theory that he actually understood Existentialist thought before many of the existentialists even arrived (He was, in some ways, post-Nietzsche). But more than that, he is, to me, the symbol of a man who developed deep, complex, interesting opinions, and wasn't afraid to disagree with people, and still remain close friends with them. For example, he was great friends with GB Shaw, with whom he could hardly disagree more. In the modern times of separation, alienation, and party divides, we need to learn from people in the past who knew how to heal gaps, not merely say we are bipartisan.

And a quote from Mr. Chesterton:
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - From The Man who was Thursday.

No comments: